Garden Chick - Notes from the Garden

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Here a chick, there a chick, everywhere a chick chick










My friend Sandra plants hens and chicks everywhere (sempervivum tectorum). She planted several for me last summer in an old red wagon, but I allowed them to get too much rain over the winter, and many rotted (there was no drainage in the bottom of the wagon, our mistake). I transplanted what was left in an old wooden box a few days ago. They are supposed to be easy to grow, but for some reason, I don't have much luck. I am going to try them again, because I want to plant in some unusual containers to take to the market.
Plant your hens and chick in a sandy soil or you can mix one part soil, one part sand, and one part peat moss. The area must be well drained and receive full sun at least 6 hours a day. You can divide your plants at anytime by breaking the clumps apart with your hands. The plants roots do not mind being disturbed. Replant. Any chicks that fell from the main plant can also be planted. Water sparingly.





















Bookmark and Share

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home


blog powered by Blogger
skinned by RedLime