Garden Chick - Notes from the Garden

Monday, April 20, 2009

Compost Your Coffee Grounds



This morning, like so many other mornings, I emptied my old coffee grounds in the garbage. I admit it, I don't have a compost pile. I have meant to make one, but........
While drinking my fresh cup of coffee, reading the ads in the back of Mother Earth News, I came across an ad from Peace Coffee (www.peacecoffee.com) with ideas on uses for old coffee grounds. In the morning, my coffee grounds will be taken down to my newly plowed garden and dumped. I promise. (if it's not raining).

Did you know:
  • Coffee grounds provide a good source of nitrogen for your garden.

They can be applied directly as a top dressing to acid loving plants such as blueberries, hydrangeas, and azaleas. I have all three plants, so no excuses.

Combine your coffee grounds with browns such as leaves and straws to generate heat. They act as a green material. For large amounts of grounds added to the compost bin, add 1 teaspoon lime or wood ash for every 5 lbs to counteract the acidity of the grounds.

Use your coffee grounds in vermicomposting (worm bin).

Sprinkle used grounds around plants before rain or watering for slow-release nitrogen

Encircle the base of plants with a coffee and eggshell barrier to repel pests

To make a gentle fast acting liquid fertilizer, dilute a half pound of wet coffee grounds with five gallons of water.

Source: Picture from www.starbucks.com/aboutus/compost.asp

Information: www.starbucks.com/aboutus/compost.asp

www.peacecoffee.com/blog

Bookmark and Share

5 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home


blog powered by Blogger
skinned by RedLime